Wednesday, September 05, 2007

How do you deal with bad customer service?

So I was on the line with AT&T today trying to work out why my friend Amos (who doesn't speak great English) was having trouble getting a phone line connected.

I can safely say that this was one of the most humiliating, hurtful experiences I have had in years. I am left wondering why we as a society have ended up with this situation where paying for a service to be provided is so often accompanied by terrible personal experiences like these. It's not just this industry - recently I and others I know have had terrible experiences with companies like American Airlines, State Farm Auto Insurance, Nationwide Insurance, Bank of Ireland, a private contractor, Expedia.com, Compass bank, John Eagle Honda and others...

There seems to be an implicit understanding in the marketplace that customers can be treated badly because none of the other companies do much better.

Which leaves me wondering what a consumer can do. Dealing with these large companies (mostly) leaves definite emotional injuries - yet I wonder if it's really worth bothering switching to another provider. After all - aren't these companies all just variations on a theme?

So I'm left wondering - what do you think are good ways to deal with these issues?

5 comments:

Pushing Keys said...

Firstly, I am sorry to hear things are not going well with yet another business and I share your frustration. It seems that sometimes complaining with the bigger manager helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes all we need is just an apology and a sympathetic ear from at least one person in the company - but does that happen often? Not really because people are so reluctant to admit to mistakes.
My only idea of a solution would be for enough people to complain and not tolerate this terrible mistreatment. If everyone was writing letters or e-mailing their companies and not just one or two perhaps there would be a change. I think these companies rely on our complacency as consumers.
I don't see the point in changing companies - as you say, same problems, different company. Why bother with all the hassle of changing connections etc UNLESS one a certain that a different provider is better.
I am tired of begging to pay for a service and it is emotionally exhausting. It's the biggest stress in my life right now and it shouldn't be like that at all.
We need to find the right person to complain to who will attempt to change, but in a complacent society will we find that?

Flopsy said...

Well, all of these companies are fairly nice only if you want to add extra services and pay what they command. When you low ball them usually it affects their potential bonus or commission, and then they take it out on you. I have had that problem with GTE now Verizon years ago.

Recently Kelly had a row with Gamestop.

http://rtype8088.livejournal.com/2039.html

Andrew said...

Actually we were trying to add a line!

Anonymous said...

Not sure I have a definate solution to the problem dude. Bad customer service is rampant...perhaps you should burn their building down or find the evil wench/he-wench and give him/her a good kick in the shin. Or, just take heart that perhaps you are the bigger ( more polite) person and as they say...brush the dirt of your shoulder and move right along.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I work for a retailer and I don't even know what to say. I deal with both sides as what I do make the stores I walk into my customer, but then I am a customer to them.

Not sure of a solution.