Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It finally happened

Ah Mr. Mercury,

You know the strange paths that life takes. Although perhaps you became familiar with some slightly stranger paths than most. This morning I feel exhausted from the pursuit of immigration ins and outs. It appears that the US wants me to convert to being a citizen rather than remain as a permanent resident as was my preference. I have mixed feelings about this. Although I would not have to relinquish my current citizenship, it is true that I still have some qualms about the moral responsibilities a citizen must shoulder. In a nation like this, surely it can not be argued that all responsibility for international actions lies in the hands of the political or economical elite. The citizens must share some part of the blame for their military's stance in the world.

When the fatal bullet passes through the brain of an Iraqi father defending his country or an eighteen-year-old American marine, someone must be responsible, and though I feel that responsibility is not equally distributed, there would appear to be enough to go around. I could argue that no one in the entire world is immune from some share of the blame. Even as a permanent resident, I share in the economy of the country, its living and working conditions, its roads, oil, even its political and mass-media intrigues. I am ashamed, but I must not deny that I am partly responsible for everything that has happened.

Becoming an American citizen, I would take on a greater share of the blame for our actions. As a Christian I am glad that ultimately I have access to corrective forgiveness for this blame, but that in no way means that I can continue to be a part of the problem. However, He said that "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" and I think the intent was that law was ultimately in place to better us as human beings and I must therefore strive to do whatever will further this goal. Will I help the situation by not becoming a citizen? I could certainly stir up some reactions among some people by being outspoken about refusing citizenship. I could mollify the feelings of my family and friends in other countries by refusing to align myself with the country. Or, I could choose to attach myself to this country and then fight to help change things. Ultimately, I don't believe that citizenship will have much affect either way, and might allow me to be more constructive in changing things. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Pushing Keys said...

As I read this, I wondered how I could respond without being biased and throwing my own feelings and thoughts into things. It will be hard considering how directly involved I am in this situation.

But the moral issues don't only belong to the nation of America. Perhaps it is the responsibility of the entire world who didn't do enough to stop the initial leanings of the American government to enter into war. The majority of the world certainly expressed their unwillingness to support a war - but did they do anything? Could they? Did we not align ourselves with this country through our inaction? It is so much easier to point the finger at the other rather than stop and examine our own responsibilities.
How does citizenship change ones identity? Will you now be American rather than Northen Irish? On paper, perhaps (but not really), but in reality, no. You will always be my Irish Bard.
But then you will have more responsibility here. You will be agreeing to support this country and pledge your allegiance. Like Paul, you will have citizenship to an earthly allegiance (Rome in his case) and to God.
I worry that citizenship is plaguing your conscience. It makes me wonder if it's the right path. Why do we always end up faced having to do things we never wanted to do?
I guess I have laid more questions down than given answers or solutions. And I'm sure it has been an utterly emotionally biased response. Let me think about it more and we can talk more tonight too.....